Picture Editor and Syndication Manager – full time – salary by negotiation
South West News Service, the fastest growing press agency in the UK, has a rare opportunity for a highly motivated Picture Editor to join the team in Bristol. As well as helping manage 18 staff photographers you will be responsible for coordinating our foreign sales and maintaining our network of agents.
• Specifically we are looking for someone with the knowledge and initiative to find new markets and drive new sales.
• This is hands-on job for someone with a strong news sense and a good understanding of the news photography industry.
• The successful candidate will have a broad range of IT skills and expected to contribute to all areas of the picture desk including video and online operations.
Please send your covering letter and CV to Jon Mills – firstname.lastname@example.org
As the CEPIC 2013 Congress gets underway in Barcelona the association has announced it’s new board members for 2013 – 2015
President is Alfonso Gutierrez (Spain/ AEAPAF / Age Fotostock)
Vice president Edith Stier-Thompson (Germany/ BVPA / DPA)
Treasurer Stefan Wittwer (Switzerland/ SAB/ Prisma)
Committee members at large are:
John Balean (UK/ BAPLA/ TopFoto)
Pieter Doorman (Netherlands/ NL Images/ ImageSelect)
Anders Lusth (Sweden/ SBF/ Johner)
Véronique Martingay (France/ SNAPIG/ La Collection)
Lars Modie (Sweden/ BLF/ IBL)
Outgoing President Christina Vaughan announced on Linkedin: “Today, I step down as President of CEPIC after 4 years. Feel terribly proud of our legacy, 4 amazing & profitable international conferences starting in Dresden then Dublin then Istanbul and finally brought it home to London last year. CEPIC now is the voice of the picture industry and more international than ever with a clear vision for the future. But, all good things come to an end and I am even more excited about the next phase. My last AGM as President is at 2pm and then the new Elections. I want to thank everyone for all the amazing support and goodwill these past four years.”
• See our 2012 interview with Christina here
• BERLIN was selected as the next Congress venue in June 2014
Photo Archive News is visited daily by stock photographers, picture library owners and staff, picture researchers, picture editors and art directors. We see around 15,000 visits to the site a month registering 35k page views.
✮ Please send news items to Willwill@photoarchivenews.com
NOTE: Sending news will not guarantee publication.
Note: Please don’t rely on us to receive news via your Twitter feed even if we (PANupdate) are following you – Tweets are only seen if your follower is looking at Twitter at the time you Tweet…. ✮ Advertising Home page andJob ads / Photo library listings contact Will as above.
What people are saying about PhotoArchiveNews.com
✮ “Hi, I am looking for 2 x London Based Picture Researchers for Thursday and Friday this week”…. I used Google and typed in “Picture Researchers London” and found PhotoArchiveNews.com – thanks!” – Bex, Production Manager Pretzel Films, London.
✮ I love your Picture Archive News forum and read it avidly – Jane Sherwood Picture Editor of the Sunday Express Newspaper.
✮ Quick note to say that I really look forward to receiving PhotoArchiveNews!: picture research and copyright clearance specialist
✮ UK national newspaper Picture Editor: ‘Always a good read and it makes up for the lack of face to face get togethers these days which always were great for industry ‘gossip’
✮ Photo Agency owner: ‘Thanks for the PAN email newsletters each week I always read them with interest
It’s a great way of keeping in touch with whats going on in our industry’
✮ Picture Editor at a UK Book Publisher: “If you are a photo agency I should know about then send you news to PhotoArchiveNews.com that’s where I keep tabs on the stock photo industry”
✮ Picture Researcher Los Angeles: “Thanks Will – I do enjoy receiving your newsletter, it’s really good source of information and I’m amazed I hadn’t heard about it before.”
✮ Photo Agency Owner: Good to see your site growing and doing such a great job on reporting industry news.
✮ Photo Library Manager: “Just to say, I’ve been enjoying your postings for a while now and always find them really interesting and a great way to catch up on the goings on of the industry.” – Photographer Sydney Low on his blog: syd-low
✮ “Enjoying PAN as much as ever, informative and useful great way to keep updated on industry news.” Cheryl Yates Newspix Manager
✮ “Thanks Will, I’ve been your site for years, it’s one of my go-tos.” Helen at The Hell Gate photo agency.
✮ “Fantastic resource.” Freelance Picture researcher.
Call Will on: +44 (0)7802 437827 | Email: email@example.com
NI Syndication – ‘NI Syndication handles all content licensing for The Times, The Sunday Times and The Sun and the archives of the News Of The World and Today newspaper.’ require a Syndication Sales Executive at their London office to meet and exceed personal and departmental sales targets by licensing content to existing and new customers across the world.
The role is required to demonstrate an excellent understanding of our content, a clear understanding of the secondary licensing of content and the ability to build and develop relationship with editorial teams and contributors to enable you to identify and drive new sales opportunities.
Key Tasks / Result Areas:
• Drive monthly sales to achieve/exceed personal targets and in support of the overall revenue targets. Ensure you are aware of the value of each sale by having a good understanding of our royalty commitments and any cost of sale.
• Ensure all customer inquiries/opportunities are dealt with promptly and efficiently.
• Maintain up to date knowledge of all systems used by the Syndication team and input to the development roadmap of ‘local systems’ e.g. CRM, Capture, website.
• Create opportunities to develop new sales/contract opportunities with customers by presenting our products and services to them
• Developing creative new ‘content packages’/services for sale.
• Ensure your customers receive daily mail shots (as appropriate) and have access to view relevant collections via our e-Commerce platforms.
Develop a good working knowledge of syndication contracts, including agent agreements, and any exclusivity offered which needs to observed
• Develop strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders e.g. Editorial departments, Contributors, etc.
• Ensure full compliance with CRM processes and input all sales leads, opportunities and associated outcomes in real-time.
• To follow up with lapsed customers to understand their business requirements with a view to re-establishing a business relationship.
• Assist with the development and implementation of marketing strategies to existing and new customers to drive sales opportunities.
• Clear rights with contributors where the rights status is unclear or they are not yet signed up to syndicate
Liaise with Editorial departments to establish content rights and clearance.
• Have an excellent understanding of your sector and continually look for opportunities to extend the scope and increasing your customer base
• Work with and provide direction to Sales Support Executives in support of meeting our customers requirements.
• Determine annual sales strategy for your sector and input to overall department sales strategy.
• Participate in sales/creative meetings to share customer experiences and content information/opportunities.
• Be involved in the planning process and exhibiting at trade shows to maximise the effectiveness.
• Providing cover across the team as required.
Key Technical Skills Required:
• Proven prospecting, negotiation and closing skills
• Excellent understanding of the sales cycle, including personal and departmental performance against targets
• Strong understanding of copyright and content licensing
• Good understanding of best practice and opportunities across the industry
• Good understanding of Microsoft Dynamics CRM software
• Ability to use SAP accounting system
• Read trade press, quality press and relevant information to maintain up to date knowledge for the media and syndication marketplace
Key Personal Skills Required:
• Display a positive/’can do’ and results driven attitude
• Experience of working in a customer-focused environment with the ability to deliver excellent customer service
• Excellent communication style and skills
• Strong organisational skills and the ability to prioritise effectively
• Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with customers and your key stakeholders
• Demonstrate the ability to self motivate and show resourcefulness
• Ability to work and make decisions at speed to ensure customer deadlines are achieved
• Demonstrate strong team working skills, including supporting the department and colleagues by selling across sectors.
Curator of Photographs (Fixed Term Contract) 1 Jul 2013 – 1 Jul 2014
Royal Collection Trust | Windsor Castle | Starting Salary £25,500
The Royal Collection Trust, one of the five departments of the Royal Household, manages the public opening of the official residences of The Queen and has curatorial responsibility for the Royal Collection, one of the world’s most impressive art collections in the world.
The photograph collection, part of the Royal Library section based at Windsor Castle, is responsible for all photographic items in the Royal Collection, including photographic prints, negatives, films and photographic equipment – over 450,000 items in all. It consists of material from the 1840s to the present day, including both official and personal photographs acquired by the Royal Family. The collection also contains photographic material acquired by departments of the Royal Household. The collection is of international significance.
In this role you will work closely with the Senior Curator of Photographs and other colleagues in the photograph section. Details here
The CEPIC Congress 2013 is next week, if you are considering attending then register today for the last chance at the early bird booking fee here.
• If you need some encouragement read this report on registrations and who’s attending by CEPIC’s Executive Director Sylvie Fodor – Over 450 delegates from 269 companies
New York photo syndication agency The Hell Gate is now representing the photo archive of photographer Chris Cuffaro. They say: His photos of Soundgarden are unparalleled and there have been so many times looking through is images that we’ve had to stop and say, “He shot that too?” We are thrilled to be able to add iconic images of Jane’s Addiction and Suicidal Tendencies to our archive with signing Chris. From day one, he’s been on board and his good humor and laid-back attitude has made it a joy to work with him. We are proud to present his body of work and look forward to continuing representing a truly great photographer. View and license Chris Cuffaro images here
↑ An quick catch up here on what photo agency Getty Images are doing with HD video in the celebrity content arena. They say: ‘From VIP parties that start long after the red carpet has been rolled up, to matchless angles that shed light on the hottest brands, it all starts with access. Once the action is captured, flawless production polishes the exclusive content and it is released for real-time use.’
• View and license Getty Images editorial video here