‘Events to look out for:’
• John Surtees wins the German Grand Prix at Adenau.
• Tension increases in Vietnam after a US plane goes down in communist controlled jungle.
• Football controversy in Norway as the Manager of Eik blocks a goal.
• Veterans mark the 50th anniversary of WWI in Paris.
• Sophia Loren causes a stir on rumours she is to adopt an impoverished 4 year old girl.
• Violence increases in Cyprus, including the destruction of a Greek torpedo boat.
• Mary Quant shows off the latest in London fashion.
• Stanley Matthews ready to start his last competitive season at the age of 49.
• Spanish bullfighter, Manuel Leyton, is gored to death by a bull.
• Manfred Mann take on the Beatles as they hit number 1 in the charts.
Plus famous faces: Sugar Ray Robinson ; Alma Cogan ; Emporer Hirohito with Empress Nagako ; Steve McQueen ; Frank Sinatra ; Ava Gardner ; Marcel Marceau ; Ursula Andress with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee ; Susan Hampshire ; Pia Lindstrom.
View & license the photos here
‘Events to look out for:’
Bollywood Hungama website reports that Indian film actor Salman Khan appears to have fallen out with the Bollywood paparazzi …and hired his own photographers.
• Regional Account Manager – International Team – Bridgeman London
• Picture Editor – London picture desk – Barcroft Media
• Syndication Specialist – 6 month fixed term contract
Full details on our Jobs page
Photoshleter has released the latest in their series of photo industry guides:
‘The Photographer’s Guide to Instagram’
They say: …get tips to make the most of the platform to showcase your brand, build your audience, connect with photo editors, and even generate revenue. Also get advice and inspiration from photographers having success with Instagram, amassing followings up to 830,000.
In this guide, you’ll also learn:
• 10 ways to win at Instagram and take advantage of all its features
• Ideas to organically build your audience faster and smarter
• Why Instagram is a must-use tool to connect with photo editors
• Tips to measure your success
Get the guide here
John Birdsall Social Issues Photo Library new address:
15 Beatrice Road, Norwich NR1 4BB
Art photography collections are held at regional museums, libraries and archives across the country but often without specialist curatorial expertise. Peer support for curators working with photography collections is limited. There is currently no Subject Specialist Network for Photography, and no active planning, programming, research, information exchange, scholarship or training that is more formally coordinated between UK institutions. As a result, many photography collections tend to be ‘dormant’ and inaccessible to experts and audiences, and curators responsible for photography collections do not have access to the necessary staffing and financial resources, or knowledge and specialist skills to actively develop their collections. With the support of the Art Fund, the Victoria and Albert Museum is running a two-year pilot programme to help support the development of curatorial expertise in art photography, working with regional museum partners.
Full details and to apply
Multi stock media licensing agency Pond5 has raised $61 Million from investment houses Accel Partners and Stripes Group.
Pond5 say: ‘The funding is the first institutional investment for the company and will be used to fuel global growth, hiring, and product development.
Artists from around the world use Pond5 to upload video clips and other media, including music, photos and special effects. Those creating media projects, like films, mobile applications and video games, can then buy the royaltyfree content for their own use.’
“Our mission since day one has been to build the world’s most vibrant, artist friendly marketplace for creativity,” said Pond5 CEO and co founder Tom Bennett. “We thought very carefully about the kind of partners we wanted to join us, and we couldn’t be more excited to team up with Accel and Stripes for the next phase of our adventure.”
• Pond5 boast over 15 million media clips sourced from 30,000 artists in 127 countries.
• Artists who upload their media to the website earn 50% on sales.
• Pond5 footage has found its way into blockbuster films like Iron Man, Thor and Dallas Buyers Club, and hit television series like AMC’s The Walking Dead and NBC’s Saturday Night Live.
• Based in New York, with offices in Geneva, Switzerland and Prague, Czech Republic, Pond5 has been cashflow positive since its founding in 2006 and is doubling sales annually. The company raised a seed round of $500,000 from the New York Angels in 2008. In 2013, Pond5 acquired Pixmac, an international network of stock photos sites based in Czech Republic. It currently employs a global team of 70 people.
• View all Pond5 articles on PAN